Friday, January 10, 2014

Mediocalcar decoratum

This little orchid is one of my favorites for its brightly colored, candy-corn-like flowers.  The individual growths are only 2cm but grow on top of each other, so the plant tends to ramble.  The growths have little cylindrical pseudobulbs with three or four fat little leaves at the top of each like a little propeller.  It prefers cool temperatures and good humidity but is easy to grow.  It is from New Guinea and belong to a small genus of plants that have similar brightly colored flowers, but plant that are in some cases much larger than this.






4 comments:

  1. Ela é muito linda, a sua está muito bem cultivada.
    Mais uma vez parabéns pelo cultivo e pelas belas imagens.
    abraços

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabete. As always your comments are valued and appreciated

      Delete
  2. Really sharp pics! You've captured the flower it seems very nicely. I just got one of these the other day, though not yet in bloom. I wanted to check out some minis, even before I realized HOW mini they are, and it's pictures like your bigger plant that had me sold on this guy. I actually like the "rambling" that it does and look forward to it doing so (assuming I take good enough care of it). And I love those cute little flowers, so subtle yet so bright!

    Thank you for sharing. Nice representation of this species here. Any tips on their care/culture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking and commenting and good luck with your new plant. They are easy. I have one mounted on tree fern and another in a small pot, but both the mount and the pot are invisible under the mat of growths. I grow it cool (winter low of 55 and never warmer than 75) and keep the humidity up (80 percent).

      Delete